Many foods have natural anti inflammatory properties that can reduce swelling, ease pain, and alter your body’s chemical reaction. After all, your body can only use the nutrients from the food you consume as fuel. For this reason, eating the right foods is one of the best way to deal with inflammation.
Anti inflammatory foods and beverages fight the effects of the inflammatory process. Conversely, some ingredients or cooking methods aggravate the body’s immune system and trigger inflammation. You may be able to treat your symptoms by adjusting what you eat.
Foods that reduce inflammation in body:
- Olive oil
- Green leafy vegetables, like collards, kale, and spinach
- Nuts, specifically walnuts and almonds
- Fatty fish, including tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines
- Fruits, like oranges, cherries, blueberries, and strawberries
You may have heard of turmeric anti inflammatory claims that the spice decreases inflammatory symptoms. The curcumin in turmeric has anti-inflammatory effects.
Nevertheless, turmeric is only three percent curcumin, and you would need to consume more than a gram a day. You may consider ingesting the ingredient as a supplement.
Most ingredients that cause inflammation are already considered bad for your health. Fatty, sugary, and carbohydrate-heavy foods can cause excess inflammation and other medical conditions that increase the risk of inflammation.
Foods that cause inflammation include the following:
- Red meat, like steak, and processed meat, like hot dogs
- Bad fats, such as margarine, lard, and shortening
- Refined carbohydrates from processed breads
- Fried foods, including French fries
- Sugary beverages, like soda
These bad foods can also contribute to weight gain, which worsens inflammation. By reducing bad ingredients and incorporating anti-inflammatory foods, you can begin to reap the benefits of a healthy diet.